Friday 20 March 2009

Jetz kömma sehn

I believe that I mentioned the new Thermals record, which will be out on April 7 -it is called "Now We Can See" and I can barely wait, since their last release is still one of my favourite records in my collection. They just played a couple of songs at the South by Southwest Festival which I mentioned in an earlier post, and here are a couple of lines written about that performance:
"But everything jumped up a notch with the Thermals, a Portland trio that demonstrated that elemental three-piece rock, accompanied by proper conviction, can approach majesty, or at least bliss under a metal roof. An incantatory “Now We Can See” included chanting from the bassist Kathy Foster, whose vigorous playing and a bouncing rock-fro were performance art in the best sense of the term."

New York Times Arts Blog
, March 19, 2009
According to the "All Songs Considered" Podcast that is currently covering the festival, singer Hutch Harris performed in his underwear, with the word "slut" written over his chest. That, of course, is a reference to "Arrested Development", and therefore makes one of my favourite bands even more awesome than I already thought them to be [even better, naturally, would have been "virgin" across the forehead, but I guess that reference would be too British teenager for a Portland-band].

[oh, and if you were wondering what I did while my wisdom tooth was amost killing me: I watched tons of old Buffy-episodes, because I've never really obsessively regarded every detail of the first four seasons before. Just one more thing I can check on that list I have.]

No comments: